Thursday, September 3

Maple Walnut Muffins ~ Moooooooo!

In our world, where there's cows...there's food.

I know, it seems like an odd combination...unless the cows ARE the food...that's another topic for another day. :-/

When there's cattle to be worked, there's grub to be made. It's hard work...hungry work...hot work...messy work. Thus, I...the camp cook, is on duty.

Our recent run-through was preg-checking day. For the non-livestock person, this simply means we check the cows to make sure they're bred (Good job, bulls!) and how far along they are into their gestational bliss. Mooooooooooooo!

Now that I'm a Mother (and I have a rambunctious bull of my own), I am much more sympathetic to the whole process. In fact, because I'm surrounded by big...manly...cattlemen, I squash the desire to scream "congrats, you're having a heifer" and present said cow with a pink balloon as she darts from the chute.

You can imagine the sideways glances I would receive.

Instead, I bring muffins...contribute any way I can...and have a gender reveal party in my head every time...200 times to be exact.

It's exhausting!

And thrilling!

So, because you didn't come here to talk about calves...adorable, smooch calves...here's the muffin recipe. And for all my soon-to-be-Mommies out there...congrats on your bull...or heifer...be thankful you only have stirrups to deal with! Ha!


Ingredients:
Topping:
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cold butter, diced
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
Muffins:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup butter, melted

First, prepare topping by whisking together flour and brown sugar until combined. Add butter and cut into flour mixture using pastry cutter (or fork) until it resembles small crumbs. Add walnuts and toss well. Set aside.


Next, mix muffin batter by combining flour, salt, and baking powder. Add milk, syrup, and beaten egg to mixture. Mix well. Then add chopped walnuts to batter and stir.


Spoon batter into muffin liners, they should be about two-thirds full. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter in each liner.


I use ALL the topping because if a little is good, a lot is better!


Side note: Have you seen these amazing little creations? My muffin tin is packed (another shout out to our moving extravaganza) so they were so handy! Not to mention, the pan was much easier to clean. Confession: I'd rather buy a new muffin tin than wash one...it seriously makes me cuss...a little (Thank you, Natalie, for anticipating my baking needs in such a thoughtful way).


Bake in 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until topping is golden brown and muffins have risen.


Before I transport them to a brood of hungry men, I think I'll have one first. Quality control, people!

 
We ALL enjoyed them...I hope you do too! Moooooooooooo!
 
Cowboy Van. I promise...he has a head. A very handsome one. I'll be sure to photograph it next time! I had muffin vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!