Monday, March 9

Chorizo Burritos

For all my beginner cooks out there, here's a tip...chorizo should not be feared! In fact, it's nothing more than pork sausage and smoked red pepper spices.

When I married Super Hunk six years ago, he mentioned a fondness of said sausage. At the time probably, much like you), my face was blank. What is this "chorizo" he speaks of? Cue, Google. Where do I find it? Cue, Google. How do I cook it? You guessed it...cue, Google.

With a little research (and a short flashback to an unfortunate incident including a very tight dress that resembled more of a sausage casing than an apparel garment), it turns out...I'm a boob...a sausage scaredy cat boob!

It's not difficult...it should not be feared...and you can find it at your local grocery store, by the breakfast sausage (in case you're wondering). Again, I'm a boob!

Our little Latin friend is a staple in our family breakfast burritos. No tortilla is completely satisfied without it! Go on, give it a try...and Google, if needed.

Ingredients:
(Makes 4 burritos)
1/3 tube chorizo sausage
2 tablespoons butter
6 eggs
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 medium potato, diced
1 can green chiles
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
4 flour tortillas
Salt & pepper to taste
Salsa, optional (Here's my favorite recipe, if you need one.)

(This is the chorizo I prefer, I need pictures when trying new ingredients...how about you?)


In large skillet, over medium heat, melt butter and add diced potatoes. Let potatoes cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and slightly golden.
Add chorizo to skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring to coat potatoes. Whisk eggs and milk together and add to skillet with green chiles. Cook until eggs are scrambled and ingredients are cooked thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste.


For easy transport and keeping the burritos warm, place flour tortilla on sheet of foil


Spoon egg mixture on tortilla.


Sprinkle with grated cheese...a little is good but a lot is better! (Note to self: Schedule manicure ASAP!)


Tuck ends and roll (sounds like a fire survival maneuver), followed by foil.


Tada, look how happy they are. Don't forget the homemade salsa


All packed up and ready to run. For this busy Mom-on-the-go, my Initials, Inc. Cool Tote Bag is a lifesaver! Perfect for anything you need to transport...and it's adorable...win-win!


Super Hunk could care less about my stylish bag, his eyes were on the contents prize! Breakfast burritos make any day of fixing fence better! And it makes my heart happy to see them devoured...the burritos, not the fence.


So there you have it. Chorizo is a not-so-scary-breakfast-accessory. To know it is to love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!