Wednesday, May 28

Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms & Bacon

My first experience with spaghetti squash, I envisioned a laboratory hybrid created by a man in a white coat crossing spaghetti noodles and squash. Looking back, it doesn't seem that far-fetched. After all, it's a veggie disguised as pasta with the same yellow hue.

Years later, I LOVE it. We have an abundance growing (thriving) in the garden. In preparation of the bountiful harvest, I'm getting my stringy veggie feet wet.

This is my new favorite creation, hope you enjoy it too. (I'm serious, it's delicious...without all the guilt of carbs!)


Ingredients:
1/2 Spaghetti Squash
2 cartons of white mushrooms (rinsed and sliced)
6 slices of bacon
1/2 cup spinach
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
Asiago cheese (grated)
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon thyme
Salt & pepper

Slice bacon as seen below.
In saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Remove and place on paper towels to cool.
Drain majority of bacon grease, leaving bacon drippings. Add onion to saucepan with two tablespoons of butter. Cook over medium heat until onions turn golden.
Add mushrooms to pan with onions. Add Worcestershire sauce and 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir until they are cooked to your preference. Confession, I like my mushrooms charred. I like black mushrooms and I can't lie, you other brothers can't deny! (Name that song.)
While mushrooms are "blackening", cut spaghetti squash in half. More accurately, have a bigger...stronger person with actual upper body strength cut spaghetti squash in half. Hush, I'm deceivingly weak and I enjoy seeing Super Hunk flex his super hunky muscles!
Microwave half on high for 7-8 minutes. When it's cooked thoroughly, the shell will be pliable and steaming. Scoop seeds with spoon.
Use fork to scrap squash from sides, creating spaghetti-ish noodles.
Mushrooms should be cooked. Reduce heat to medium low and add spinach, stirring until slightly sautéed. 

Reduce heat to low, add bacon and thyme and stir.
Top spaghetti squash with mushroom mixture. Add salt and pepper (I'm generous with the salt, because I'm so sweet. Bahahaha!). Top with grated cheese. 

It's good to the VERY LAST BITE! Please sir, may I have some more? (Name that movie.)
Super Hunk's endorsement: "This is my new favorite. I think I like it more than Super Hunky Tacos!" Whoa, the earth just shifted on its axis...that's BIG...HUGE!

If you enjoyed this, caring is sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!