Tuesday, March 24

Mushroom Avocado Burger Boats

Burger Boats are not something you'll see in Food Network Magazine or floating around on Pinterest (until I'm done with this post...ha). They're a crazy Courtney concoction, at the request of Super Hunk.

Here's (as Paul Harvey used to say) the rest of their story...

Last spring, we had a hankerin' for hamburgers (that should be a t-shirt..."I have a hamburger hankerin') but as I've stated previously, Super Hunk is not a huge fan of bread. I know, I love him anyway! I cut the buns in half (which ended up strangely resembling a boat) and piled on all of his favorite things.

I'm sure you were expecting a story much more romantic...

But nope, just a tale of a girl raiding the fridge to keep her man's tummy happy. Okay, maybe it is a little romantic.

I hope you'll give them a try, they're a treat at our house.


Mushroom Avocado Burger Boats
(Makes 4 Boats)
4 Wheat Bolillios (see photo below)
1 lb. ground beef (divided into 4 patties)
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 ripe avocado
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons butter
Garlic salt
Pepper to taste
Chopped fresh spinach (optional)

In a skillet, melt one tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add beef patties and cook evenly on each side.

There's just NO way to photograph meat patties and make them look "pretty".
While patties are cooking, melt another tablespoon of butter in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and Worcestershire, stirring to coat. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Cook until done to your liking (I prefer a little char on mine).


Preheat oven to broil. Slice buns in half, horizontally, and place bottoms on baking sheet. I usually keep the tops to make croutons...they're delicious. Generously butter your buns with your last tablespoon (feel free to add more...a little is good but gobbs is better). "Generously butter your buns"...that's catchy!


Side note: The buns are found in the bakery section at Wal-Mart. While any bun will work, these are delectable (and boat-shaped). I also included them in my Pepperoncini Pulled Pork Sandwich recipe.


Place in oven on broil for 30 seconds to one minute. DON'T WALK AWAY...DON'T FOCUS ON ANYTHING ELSE...DON'T TAKE YOUR EYES OFF OF THEM...OR YOU'LL HAVE CHARCOAL...BLACK, CRUMBLY CHARCOAL! Remove when slightly golden and the butter is beautifully bubbly.

Top buns with patties...pile on the mushrooms...add the sliced avocado...and tadaaaaaa...dinner is served! For a little extra yum, I sprinkle the avocado with a bit more garlic salt, pepper, and top with chopped spinach leaves. Super Hunk likes mayo...manly mayo...on his and I occasionally go crazy and add cheese.


That's it...easy peasy! Today, you can say you too have eaten a burger boat. What could be better?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!