Wednesday, February 18

Smashed Potato with Avocado - Little Man's Lunch Choice

As Little Man gets older, he shows more and more interest in the preparation of meals. He grabs his stool and joins me to "wook"...which really means, I do the cooking and he does the tasting.
 
He's recently started having preferences so I allow him to choose what he'd like to eat. Some days it's cottage cheese, other days it's apple pie...he keeps me on my toes.
 
This day, he selected potato and avocado. To encourage his creativity, I channeled mine...and this is what we made. He enjoyed helping...and surprisingly...we both enjoyed eating!
 
I encourage you to try it, this toddler has good taste! Look out, Bobby Flay!
 
Pardon the blue fingers, he chose berries for a snack and well, three days later...they're back to normal.
 
Ingredients:
1 red potato, washed
1/2 avocado
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons ranch dressing
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Pepper to taste
Diced ham (optional)
 
Once potato is rinsed, drizzle with olive oil (about a tablespoon) and rub to coat.

 
Sprinkle both sides with garlic salt. Pierce all sides with fork. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes (longer if the potato is extra large). If you're in a time crunch, you can also microwave for 7-10 minutes (rotating every two minutes).


Once potato is cooked and tender, slice avocado in half (horizontally). Scoop 1/2 out with spoon and placed sliced side down on hot skillet or griddle for about 1-2 minutes. Flip and do the same on back (this is to slightly heat the avocado and make it creamy).


While avocado is heating, in small mixing bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon of olive oil with 2 tablespoons of ranch dressing until well blended (it will take a little persistence but you can do it).


Once potato is slightly cooled (not scalding "hot potato, hot potato" hot), smash to about 1 inch thick. I used the bottom of a mason jar because I've yet to find something it can't be used for (weird sentence alert)!


Place potato on plate with 1/2 of avocado.


Drizzle ranch mixture generously over potato (this will act as your moisture instead of half a stick of butter...which makes everything better in my book).


Top with salt and pepper, finish will a sprinkle of diced ham (completely optional).


Maybe I should let him choose my lunch because this was sinfully easy and wonderfully delicious!


Disclaimer: Even though this seems like world's strangest recipe, the point of this post is to inspire you to get creative. Take a few unlikely ingredients and see what you can create. See cooking through the eyes of a child and I promise, it will be so much more fun!

I give you permission to play with your food...ready...set...GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!