Thursday, September 4

Gluten-Free Cornbread

I know what you're thinking..."gluten-free?" While my goal is to provide my family with a healthy diet, gluten-free is not usually on the menu.

However, we recently had a family dinner with our lovely Aunt Linda (who is gluten intolerant). She never wants any of us to be inconvenienced by her dietary restrictions but I can't help myself. In my kitchen, it's "no man left behind" when it comes to food!

I was charged with bringing my Mom's famous cornbread dressing (stay tuned for recipe) which is usually made with Jiffy cornbread mix. To accommodate the hostess with the gluten-free mostest, I used the following recipe...and it was delic!


For whatever breakfast...lunch...or dinner you have planned, this is a yummy addition.

Gluten-Free Cornbread (Dedicated to our lovely Aunt Linda)
2 cups cornmeal (preferably organic)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 tablespoon honey (add a little more if you like it sweet)
2 cups (plus 2 teaspoons) whole milk
2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven at 45 degrees. Grease 8"x8" pan. In a small bowl, whisk cornmeal, baking powder, and salt together until combined. In a separate bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Melt butter with honey and pour in egg mixture. With mixer on low, slowly add wet mixture to dry mixture until combined. Pour in pan, bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown (and toothpick inserted comes out clean). Serve warm with LOTS OF BUTTER!

Now, you'll know exactly what Southerners mean when they say "I love you as much as cornbread" (that's A LOT)!

Lovely Aunt Linda, letting Uncle Jerry show the turkey who is BOSS!

For all of you that have the same intolerance to gluten...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!