Saturday, June 28

Steak & Avocado Stir-Fry

Every year, our little town in Texas has a full week of festivities celebrating its heritage. Today was the 48th Annual Parade. My friend, Lana, and I loaded up the boys and perched ourselves on Main Street (straining to hear each other over the blaring Country Gold tunes).

The boys were content trading matchbox cars until they fired up the sirens. Here comes the fire trucks! (I couldn't get a photo with both of them standing still, the excitement was too much to handle so MK's handsome blonde locks are partially visible.)



By the time the parade (which I'm convinced, included EVERY horse in the county) was over, we were hungry! Little Man had also consumed (more like devoured) two popsicles (and I suspect, half of MK's) so I thought I better counteract the large amounts of sugar with something of substance. 

With all the hoopla (and Super Hunk's float preparation), I hadn't planned anything for lunch. With a quick glance in the fridge, I grabbed a leftover sirloin (which was heavenly the first time around), green chiles (because in our home, every meal deserves to be adorned with these green goddesses), zucchini (our garden overfloweth and I'm running out of ideas), and avocado (one more day and it would've been compost).

I threw them all together and this bit of deliciousness was born. Sometimes, the unexpected is the most delectable...proving, once again, my opinion that whipping up something yummy doesn't have to be difficult (and your dishes don't always look like something straight off the pages of Southern Living).


Ingredients:
1 zucchini
1/2 ripe avocado, diced
1/2 cup diced sirloin, cooked
1/4 cup green chiles, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste 

In a saucepan, over medium high heat, add olive oil. When heated, add zucchini and brown slightly on each side. I prefer a little crunch but feel free to cook to your liking. Add diced sirloin and green chiles to zucchini. Reduce heat to medium low. Since your meat is already cooked, you're simply heating it. Toss ingredients and add salt and pepper. Finally, add diced avocado and stir ingredients until the avocado has warmed and created a creamy coating on other ingredients. Mmmmmmmm! Feel free to add another pinch of salt and pepper, if needed.

I'm not kidding when I tell you, I wish I'd made a bigger batch...I was longing for seconds...

...or a smaller stomach!

This is...IN NO WAY...a Food Network worthy post but the recipe is a Courtney's Kitchen favorite! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!