Wednesday, March 19

Tasty Tomato Bake

Sharing recipes from my precious friends is one of the many reasons I love this blog. Giving their kitchen traditions a voice makes my heart happy...and my tummy!  For all my tomato lovers out there, this will tickle your fancy!


Tasty Tomato Bake
By Guest Contributor, Lana Hamblin & Nana {Hugs!}

This recipe has been in my family for years! I'm talking YEARS! This is a staple in each and every one of our family recipe books. It is best with homegrown tomatoes, fresh from the garden, (Mmmmmm, nothing better than a fresh picked tomato) I could literally eat them like an apple.


My grandfather used to plant rows and rows and ROWS of tomatoes. My Grandmother became very creative with them. Casseroles, tomato gravy, pies, or just slap it on a plate with some salt and pepper! However, I don't have a greenhouse (yet) so I can't get homegrown tomatoes in the winter.


I have used vine-ripened varieties from the store and it is pretty similar. The key to selecting the perfect supermarket tomato is to smell them.  Do you know what I mean?  That rich smell of a GOOD, deep red tomato. Can you tell I'm serious about my tomato picking?  


I spent every Summer shelling peas, canning tomatoes and eating homemade vanilla ice cream with my Nana and Great Aunt. We even topped the ice cream with peaches we picked that day. They taught me everything I know about tomatoes and I cherish every moment.


Here's the recipe, thank you for letting me share!


(For leftovers, triple recipe)
2 strips of bacon
2 cups soft bread cubes (3 slices of bread)
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
6 medium tomatoes
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon of pepper
Dash of sage
1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese 


Peel tomatoes and cut into cubes, set aside. Fry bacon in pan then set aside. 


Add bread cubes to bacon grease and toss until coated. Add peppers and onion and sauté lightly. Add cubed tomatoes and lightly toss. 


In a bowl, combine sugar, flour, salt, pepper, and sage. Sprinkle over top of tomatoes and toss lightly. Spoon into greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish. 


Crumble bacon over the top and sprinkle with cheese. 


Bake for 20-30 minutes (until bubbly) 


Our family serves this with mashed potatoes. I'm not kidding, tomato bake and mashed potatoes are like Laverne & Shirley! 


"What you don't eat, if you put it on top of your head, you'd beat up your face with your tongue trying to get to it." That's what my Daddy always says. :)


Hope you enjoy this as much as my family does. Typing this has inspired me, Tomato Bake for dinner tonight!
(Lana's sweetie pie Grandmother, can't you see her whipping up Tomato Bake?)



 If you enjoyed this recipe, caring is sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!