Thursday, February 26

Roasted Vegetable Medley

Cooking has become second nature to me (like wearing Spanx...I do it without thinking). Techniques or recipes I use every day have become so routine, I don't consider them blog-worthy.  

Then I receive a message from a young newlywed, inquiring about a simple spaghetti recipe, and I have a "hand to the forehead" moment. Not everyone feels comfortable diving in with a torch to crystalize the perfect Crème Brulee!
 
Today, in honor of beginner cooks everywhere (I salute you), we're going back to basics. Roasted vegetables was one of the first things I cooked...that was edible. There was an unfortunate incident with a salmon and salsa dish...it still pains me (and Super Hunk) to talk about it. FAIL!
 
Here's a brief "how-to"...with a "woo hoo" result!
 

Ingredients:
Whatever floats your veggie boat!
I followed my hunger and it led me to the fridge, recovering baby carrots, broccoli, red bell pepper, corn on the cob, one very sad zucchini, a couple of red potatoes, and their sweet potato cousin.
Garlic Powder
Thyme
Olive oil
Salt & pepper

Just look at 'em..."Isn't she lovely"...because every good recipe needs a few Stevie Wonder lyrics.


Preheat oven at 450 degrees. Rinse all veggies thoroughly before preparing. Cut each one in medium pieces, not as small as diced...more like bite-sized.

Tip: When chopping anything, always use the back side of your knife to move items around on your board. This prevents your blade from becoming dull...and your husband saying "I told you so" while he sharpens it for the 25th time!
Go crazy, anything goes. The more, the merrier...the more, the prettier!


Transfer to a large mixing bowl.


Add seasonings and drizzle with olive oil.


Toss vegetables to coat. Feel free to add more oil, if needed. It's not an exact science so pour until you're comfortable. That reminds me of wine...but I digress.


Spread evenly in shallow baking dish and place in oven. Roast for 35-40 minutes, removing from oven to stir every 10 minutes.


Tadaaaaaaa, "Isn't she wonderful"!  Pair it with a few slices of barbecue beef sausage and your house will be a happy one!


Even happier if you trim the corn off the cob for a certain someone...I won't name names, but he's super hunky! To my Southern relatives, I apologize...please forgive me for this butchery.


Corn on or off the cob, it's a delicious...SIMPLE...dinner! I hope you'll give it a try.


Stay tuned for more "Back to Basics" recipes. If you have a request, please email me...I enjoy hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!