Tuesday, November 25

Green Chile Cornbread Dressing

It's finally here! As promised, the December issue of North Texas Farm & Ranch Magazine has arrived! My Mom's famous Green Chile Cornbread Dressing is in homes around the country. What?!?! Woo hoo!

I've been waiting until its debut to share the recipe here at S&S.

Today is the day...just in time for your Thanksgiving festivities.

This, my friends, is for you!
Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup white onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can chicken broth
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
2 cans green chiles, chopped
3 tablespoons parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 pecans, chopped
6 cups cornbread, crumbled

Toast pecans at 350 degrees for five minutes (making your house smell like holiday magic). Set aside and let cool while you melt butter in pan over medium heat.

Add onion and celery, cooking until onions start to appear translucent.
In a large mixing bowl, add broth, corn, chiles, and all spices. Stir to combine (is it just me or does "stir to combine" seem slightly redundant? I guess there's always "slosh to combine", "swirl to combine", or a seemingly messier option "shake to combine"). Squirrel...
Stir in crumbled cornbread (Quick tip: I prefer to use the Jiffy Cornbread Mix, it adds a little sweetness. I also bake it the night before to save time). 
Isn't she lovely...
Last, but certainly not least, add the super star of the dish...drum roll...the pecans! Yummy...nutty...goodness!
Pour in greased 9x13 pan. Disclaimer: The photo below shows an 8x8 pan. This is not a mistake, I was doing a Thanksgiving dress rehearsal so I cut the recipe in half. Hey, I can't be trusted with an entire pan of this hanging around with just 2 1/2 of us to eat it!
Cover with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, uncovered.
And here it is, the moment you've been waiting for...a heavenly mixture of sweet and salty. I promise your crew will love it and it keeps you from having to stuff something in the cavity of a bird...which is always a plus in my book!

Happy Thanksgiving, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!