Friday, March 28

Taco Salad

Taco salad is a seemingly simple recipe, just make a big pile! The only thing tedious is the chopping...and chopping...and sweeping...oh, the sweeping. Apparently, I need to be less vigorous with a knife!

With a week full of busy days, I needed a throw together dinner.  Super Hunk was enjoying a chips and salsa (see recipe here) appetizer, disheartened to find only tiny morsels in the bottom of the chip bag. He has very few pet peeves but tiny chips is near the top of the list.

Tiny chips, or "bagglers" (the stragglers at the bottom of the bag) as I like to call them, were my inspiration for dinner. Nothing like turning your man's frown upside down!

Iceberg lettuce was also on sale...I'm on fire! Not literally, that would be painful...and I don't have an extinguisher. Oh no, I don't have an extinguisher! Isn't there a city code for this? Am I in violation? I see a "wandering through the woods" trip to the hardware store in my future!

I suddenly have a hankerin' for a little George Strait...he can cool 'em down when they're smold'ring hot!

Sorry...whoosh...back to Taco Salad! Is it warm in here or is it just me? 


Taco Salad
1 pound ground beef
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 head of iceberg lettuce
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 roma tomato (diced)
1 cup chopped bell peppers (I used red and green)
Sliced black olives (optional)
Grated cheddar cheese
Hefty portion of "bagglers" (blue corn are my favorite but any corn chip will work)
Tablespoon of sour cream (optional)
Tablespoon of salsa (recipe here)


In skillet, brown beef. Add taco seasoning and mix.


While meat is browning, rinse lettuce and chop. Side note: Do you have a salad spinner? If not, run...don't walk...to buy one. It will make you giddy! (Here's a link to my favorite brand.)


Prepare your toppings, don't forget the "bagglers"...I failed to photograph the cheese, travesty!


We had leftovers so I'm storing them for tomorrow. Taco salad once is super but taco salad twice is positively stupendous!


Layer lettuce, toppings, and cheese on plate (or bowl, I need walls for salad...it appears that I'm vigorous with a fork too).


I also prepared a mini salad for Little Man. It's adorable, don't you think?


Prepare your fork for greatness!

If you enjoyed this, caring is sharing!

1 comment:

  1. I usually end up throwing the broken chips away. Who knew I was being so wasteful? Good idea, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!