Friday, February 26

I tackled a quilt!

The title above may lead you to believe I forcefully body-checked a big fluffy piece of bedding. Let me clarify, I figuratively tackled my first quilt...in the sewing sense.

Everything I know, I learned from my mother. In fact, I currently sew on the machine she used when I was born.

Permission granted for an "Awwwwwwwwwwwwww".

When it comes to stitching pillows or hemming a skirt, I'm fearless. Sewing a quilt? Completely outside of my wheelhouse.

However, with a friend's baby girl on the way, I was determined to conquer my fear...and absolutely prepared to fail.

If you don't expect anything, you're not disappointed...right?

With hours of due diligence (meaning, I was sucked into the Pinterest vortex), I finally settled on this pattern from Thirty Handmade Days.

It proved to be the exact level of "easy" for this quilting beginner.

Here's a peek at the final product.

 
Nursery colors are coral, navy and gold. Little Man and I had a great time picking out the various fabrics. It was definitely a "spread them all out on the floor" type of experience. We were both allowed one veto and I think we used them wisely. How about you?

 
While the overall project went pretty smoothly, I learned a few lessons the hard way. Including the tip to stay away from patterns that repeat in a line if you can't actually sew a straight line...or draw a straight line...or even walk a straight line.

Pardon the wrinkles, I folded before photographing. Another lesson learned!
I'm not sure I'll make my second quilt any time soon but I thoroughly enjoyed this pattern. Most of all, I love the thought of a sweet baby girl growing up with it.

No expectations turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Thanks, Mom!

Accomplishment starts with the decision to try.

(Click here for the pattern link.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!