Six months later...
("You wanna go where people know, people are all the same, you wanna go where everybody knows your name. Norm...err, Courtney!")
I can now operate a caulk gun...without making a catastrophic mess.
I am surprisingly intrigued by spray texture in a can.
And I'm constantly mortified by the prices of light fixtures.
Hence, today's DIY post.
My front porch had these poor, pitiful, wretched light fixtures that were seriously pleading for a facelift. So, armed with an arsenal of cleaning products and a can of spray paint, they were brought back to life! Here's a quick step-by-step.
Step 1: Disassemble light fixture completely. (I think it had 15 years of dirt and dead bugs inside.) I've also seen these at thrift stores and garage sales so keep your eyes open, you never know when you'll find a bargain!
Step 2: Insert paper towel inside where the bulb threads to keep paint out. (Step 2.2: Moisturize my working man hands while scheduling a manicure. Eek!)
Step 3: Use a small brush to remove loose dirt and plethora of insect carcasses...carci...hmmmmm...
Step 4: Spray with metal outdoor paint. I decided to go with a flat finish. Apply as many coats as needed to cover, allowing each coat to dry before applying the next.
Step 5: After giving the glass a warm bubble bath and finishing off with a spritz of Windex, place back in fixture.
Finish assembling fixture, while trying not to lose your mind because you can't remember which screws went in which holes. Oops!
All done and ready to be hung. I recruited Super Hunk to help because...well...he's super hunky when he's being handy (and every other time)!
Tada! I added a vintage Edison bulb to give a little extra charm.
She's now ready for her close-up!
|I took these photos back in the Fall so pardon the pumpkins!|