Monday, December 22

The Thirty-Something Brussels Sprout Virgin

Until a few weeks ago, I was the thirty-something brussels sprout virgin. We had never crossed paths, somewhat intentionally. In fact, I knew so little about these little green creatures I called them "brussel" sprouts.

All these years, people have been mocking me for my lack of sprout knowledge. It's giving me flashbacks to Freshman Algebra class (I still maintain, x + y does not = a)!

Well, no more. Today, I can say with pride, I've experienced the delectable world of brussels. I've officially crossed over...joined the club...got the t-shirt!

As a former brussels hater, I know what you're thinking. Slimy! An insult to noses everywhere!

Alas, I've found the golden nugget and I'm sharing it with you. 

Oven-Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Mushrooms

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts
1 1/2 cups white mushrooms, sliced
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic salt
Pepper to taste 

Preheat oven at 400 degrees.

Wash sprouts and trim stem end while removing any brown or yellow leaves. Slice sprouts in half and put in large mixing bowl. Add sliced mushrooms and drizzle with olive oil. Feel free to add more, if needed. 


Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper, toss to coat. I like them salty, like French fries, so don't be afraid to add a little more salt.


Pour on foil-lined baking sheet. (So pretty!)


Bake in oven for 20 minutes, stirring at 10 minutes. If they're not quite tender enough for you, bake them for another 3-4 minutes. As I stated above, I'm new to the sprout world. Apparently, people prefer them all kinds of ways. In my world, a little bit of crunch is always better!


Pair them with The Perfect Pork Tenderloin and you've got one delicious tummy-pleaser on your hands! 


On another note, Super Hunk would like to say that he prefers his sprouts steamed. I love him anyway! 

Happy roasting, my friends! I'm a brussels sprout virgin no more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!