Friday, December 12

Tears For Toys For Tots


"My child will never act that way!"

Yep, that was me. Pre-toddler, so confident, throwing around the word "never" like it was one of the Ten Commandments...chiseled permanently in stone!

I'm such a doorknob!

Every year, my husband's office has a Toys For Tots bin that customers fill to the top. Last year, I couldn't wait until Little Man was old enough to participate. In my rainbows and unicorns world, we'd embark on a special shopping journey while little birds pulled items off the shelf and gently placed them in our glitter-covered shopping cart.

Then a donut hole hit me in the back of the head and I was abruptly brought back to reality.

The day arrived and I had a game plan. We would purchase only fluffy girly items to prevent an "I want that" disaster. The problem with a game plan is there's usually an opposing team with their own strategy!

As we entered the office with our bags in tow, I was feeling proud. My sweet little guy had participated in the "shopping for others" outing like a champ. We had a few potential meltdowns but I diffused them with the "these are for girls" speech (which I'm sure he agreed, just to shut me up).

I began unloading the toys from the bags and as I looked down, I noticed a box of cars in the bottom. If you're a loyal S&S reader you know my son's obsession with cars. With panic on my face, I had two choices. I could frantically throw the toys in the box to cover the glaringly colorful array of automobiles (while making a complete fool of myself) or I could trust that Little Man was still clinging to the charitable meaning of the trip.

I'm an idiot...

I should've gone for it like a bad episode of Supermarket Sweep!

As you can imagine, like in cinematic slow motion, he peered over the side of the giant box and the two-year-old meltdown ensued. It was monumental!

With my kind-hearted, car-loving son under my arm like a sack of feed, I waved goodbye and hollered a sincere "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night"!

Oh, the joys of parenting!

I guess I'll try again next year, I'm bound and determined to raise a son with a giving heart...if it's the last thing I do!

2014 Toys For Tots has been officially renamed 2014 Tears For Toys For Tots!

Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!