Sunday, October 5

Sticky Bread Pudding

How many of you are bread pudding fans? Seriously, I'm interested. It seems to be the one dish people really love or really hate. I'm not a lover (which means...yes, I'm a hater) but Super Hunk adores it.

I recently acquired a very large grocery sack of leftover hamburger buns from a friend's party (better to have too many than not enough). Feeling overwhelmed by the bun volume in my kitchen (hamburger, not me), I decided to experiment and concoct a bread pudding recipe I would enjoy. I will not be defeated by soggy buns!

A little of this, a little of that (whoa, lots less of that), Sticky Bread Pudding was born and I can officially call myself a lover. That's right, I crossed over...no bread left behind!


I hope you'll consider trying it, a delightful surprise awaits you! (PS. This is an alcohol-free recipe so it's safe for the kiddos. Sorry, adults!)

Ingredients:
5-6 cups of stale bread, cubed (see bread recommendation below)
5 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Topping:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup chopped pecans

Sauce for drizzling:
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk

Let bread sit on counter overnight, uncovered. The one time when hard bread is better!


Update: I originally didn't post the brand of bread I used. There have been so many positive reviews, I thought I better so you have full information. These buns are slightly sweet which adds to the recipe. Whoosh, I feel better since you know "the rest of the story"!


Mix together sugar, eggs, and milk in medium bowl. Add vanilla.


Place bread cubes in large mixing bowl and pour egg mixture over top. Toss to coat. Pour in greased, 9x13 pan (I'm making a delivery to Super Hunk's office so I used two 8" disposable pans).



In separate bowl, mix together topping ingredients until crumbled. Sprinkle over bread mixture in pan (make sure to fill in all the cracks and crevices). Don't be like me and melt your butter, it creates more of a goop than a crumble (it's still yummy, just a bit more messy).


Bake in 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Since I made two small pans, I made one thin (for the people who like "well done") and one thick (for the traditional bread pudding texture). During the baking process, if the top gets too brown you can loosely cover with foil for remaining time.

While baking, prepare the sauce by heating a small saucepan over low-medium heat. Add brown sugar and butter, stirring until melted. Add vanilla and milk. When sugar is completely melted, remove from heat.


When pudding is cooked, drizzle sauce over top (do not pour or it will be more "sweet" than you bargained for).


I promise, one bite and you'll be a bread pudding lover too (my bite is from the "well done" pan, of course)!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!