Tuesday, March 4

"Quit being ugly"...and other things Southerners say!




(Image from Pinterest.com)

Recently, I found myself telling Little Man to "Quit being ugly" (which means, be nice). I looked up, spun around, expecting to see my Mother standing there.

This catapulted me on a journey of self-reflection. Just how much of my Mother's southern phraseology has tiptoed into my daily exchanges?

Oh...Honey...Hush!

More than I ever imagined!

My gene pool is swimming with fine linens, sweet tea and Emily Post. I picture my Southern ancestors perfectly situated on a grand porch, rocking with refinement, waving their handkerchiefs in the most genteel manner.

These Southern women infused just enough "fixin' to" and "bless your heart" in me for it to stick.

Here are a few more Southern-isms cemented in my psyche (with interpretations, for Northerners who are constantly confused by our jargon)!

"Do-hickey" - an object you can't remember the name of, but everyone seems to know what you're talking about.
"Access road" - service road parallel to the highway.
"Bless your heart" - A seemingly empathetic phrase usually uttered when one believes the other to be sweet but misguided.
"Nuttier than a hoot owl" - crazy!
"Sulled up like a strychnine pup" - bad mood...poor pup!
"That's enough to make the preacher put a nickel in the cuss cup" - OUCH! (This one makes me giggle!)
"Ugly as homemade sin" - really ugly...beyond ugly!
"Catawampus" - jacked up...which means, sideways.
"Coke"- ALL carbonated beverages, not exclusively Coca-Cola.
"Throwing a hissy fit" - look out, this Belle is angry!
"Poor as a church mouse" - doesn't have two pennies to rub together...which means, broke!
"Tan your hide" - look out, there's a whoopin' coming your way...which means, spanking.
"Gag a maggot" - something stinks to high heaven...which means, something smells terrible.
"A month of Sundays" - something is taking too long.
"Off like a herd of turtles" - going at a snail's pace...slower than molasses...which means, you're going too slow.
"Buggie" - shopping cart.
"Whoopsy Daisy - oops!
"Heavens to Betsy" - expression of surprise!
"I need it like I need a hole in my head" - to not really need anything at all...and buy it anyway.
"For cryin out loud" - exclamation of exasperation!
"I'm tickled pink" - delighted!

In this family, things are mashed (which means, to push), pictures are made (which means, to have your picture taken), and we all answer to "darlin"!

Southern roots run deep!



(Image from Pinterest.com)


Dedicated to the Southern Belles I proudly call "Mom", "Aunt" & "Granny".
(Yes, the little squirt is yours truly...wearing a dress my Mom made. Adorbs!)

What are some of your family "southern-isms"?

2 comments:

  1. I made my dress also, OUT OF CURTAIN FABRIC. How's that for a scene right out of Gone With the Wind? I was busy as a beaver those weeks leading up to Easter (another good ole southern saying).
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!