Saturday, February 22

Super Hunky Tacos



Super Hunky Tacos are, by far, my husband's favorite. This brings me much delight considering they were an "I can't let these leftovers go to waste" concoction!

Seriously, I had ground beef, corn, and black beans left over from taco salad the night before (stay tuned for that recipe). There was a red bell pepper about a day away from the compost bin, a few lonely sweet potatoes in my pantry and an almost empty bag of corn tortillas in my fridge.

Such a motley crew...but when combined, cha cha cha cha...FIESTA!

What is it about tacos that make me want to speak (okay, learn) Spanish?  Eh? Que?

Tacos me hacen feliz! (Tacos make me happy!)

SUPER HUNKY TACOS
(Serves 3 people)

6 corn tortillas (makes 2 tacos per person)

2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 packet taco seasoning
1/4 cup red bell pepper, roughly chopped
1/4 cup whole kernel corn (drained)
1/4 cup black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
Chopped cilantro, sour cream & salsa (check out my "Let's talk salsa" post for recipe) as garnish 
Salt & pepper to taste

Wash, peel and dice sweet potatoes. Cha cha cha cha...



In skillet, brown ground beef. When thoroughly cooked, drain liquid and add taco seasoning. Stir.

In separate skillet, melt one tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and olive oil, stir to coat. Let cook for about 10 minutes until potatoes start to brown and soften. Cha cha cha cha...



Stir in vegetables, beans, and meat to skillet with sweet potatoes. Let simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Cha cha cha cha... (I'm not even sure that's Spanish, but I like it...muchisimo).


Over medium heat, coat separate skillet with remaining tablespoon of butter. Lay corn tortillas in skillet, spin to coat with butter. While you are waiting for bottom side to turn slightly golden, sprinkle top side with cheese. Flip tortilla, cheese side down. When cheese side is golden brown remove to plate (to clarify, only one side will have cheese).




Spoon potato mixture on cheese side of tortilla ("tor-tilla"...say it like the Spanish). Top with chopped cilantro, sour cream and salsa ("sal-sa", so much fun to say)!  



I also love sliced avocado on top but I'm a dork and forgot to photograph it!



"Do a dollop...do, do a dollop of Daisy!" This is, in no way, Spanish...but I bet you're singing it now!



Little Man (mi amor) was my Sous Chef this evening, we were discussing flavors and spices (picante).

Whatever! We were discussing his pajama situation...Dad was in charge! Looks a little...a lot (mucho)...uncomfortable!


I hope your crew adores these as much as mine!

Adios!

2 comments:

  1. Now I have the daisy sour cream commercial stuck in my head! Ha! We LOVE taco night around these parts as well. Gonna have to try these. Brian's favorite dinner is tacos. I can't grate enough cheese or chop enough cilantro on those nights. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!