Friday, February 14

Cricket Cookies

Am I the only one that feels it's appropriate to have cookies for breakfast? C'mon, I know you're out there!

Coffee, cookie, repeat...

These cookies are in my earliest memories as a child. My Mom used to make them for my brother and me, the aroma still makes my mouth water. Seriously, Pavlov's dogs kind of drool happening here!

The name, however, is my favorite part of these little bites of heaven. As I stated above, my brother and I were (are) huge fans! To our Mother's dismay, they were disappearing as fast as she could bake them.

One day, when inquiring what she put in them, she responded "crickets" (hoping that would slow us down). The name stuck and, even with insect parts, they have always been my favorite!

One of the reasons my heart (and my waistline) is crazy about this recipe is it's simplicity! This is one of the easiest cookie recipes on the planet! It's even simple enough for the kiddos to help (a superbly effective way to burn some of that energy I deeply wish I still had).

The second reason, is the rapid-fire nature by which you can crank these babies out! "You need cookies for school TODAY and you forgot to tell me? One moment...(pour, stir, bake)...done." You're officially Supermom!


Cricket Cookies

1 box yellow cake mix
1 (8 oz) package room temperature cream cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) room temperature butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts (optional)

With mixer on low, blend butter, cream cheese and vanilla until well mixed (it's okay if you still have a few lumps).


Slowly add cake mix until dough forms. You can do this by hand but it's difficult...I'm talking Strong Man Competition difficult (car flips, dead lifts, keg tosses...those would be easier).  Add nuts, if
desired.


Bake in 350 degree oven for 8 minutes.


Remove from oven, let sit on cookie sheet for a minute or so, and transfer to cooling rack.

(I make a bite-sized version for Little Man. They are so easy for him to chomp on while we are out and about. He's not spoiled, no...huh uh!)

When completely cooled, throw calories to the wind, dig in! "You had me at cookie!"

I love the satisfaction of a full cookie jar, don't you?

Enjoy! :-)

Food for thought: "If you give a mouse a cookie, you've wasted a perfectly good cookie on a silly little mouse." -anonymous

What is your favorite childhood recipe?


4 comments:

  1. These are melt-in-your mouth good and so easy. Bet you can't eat just one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made these lovely little things - fresh out of the oven. And, they are DELICIOUS! (Like every recipe you have!) Little Bear keeps trying to get her hands on my cookie.....and I'm almost tempted to let her try it so she can fully understand the good things in the world! hehe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the love of all things delicious, let that sweet angel suck on a cookie!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!