Tuesday, February 3

Lasagna Soup

It's cold again, praise the Lord! I was mildly concerned the 60-80 degree weather was here to stay, this girl (with screaming white legs) was a donkey on the edge! 

In honor of wonderfully warm fires and sweaters with boots, I'm throwing on a pot of our family favorite...Lasagna Soup!

I introduced you to this little bit of liquid goodness in my original Let's Have a Soupapalooza post. In case you missed it, here's a step-by-step (with a few minor Courtney modifications).

Enjoy!


Ingredients:
(8) oz. lasagna noodles, crumbled (about 10 noodles)
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 lb. Italian sausage, browned
1 cup sliced white mushrooms
1 cup grated zucchini 
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 can fire roasted tomatoes (this makes all the difference)
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (plus more for sprinkling on top)
1/4 cup heavy cream

Bring large pot of salted water to a boil and add noodle pieces.

While noodles are cooking, heat olive oil in skillet and add chopped onions. Sauté until slightly translucent. Add garlic, oregano, and tomato paste. Stir until combined.


When noodles are cooked, drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat. Don't worry if the noodles aren't completely cooked, the boiling and simmering of the soup will finish cooking them.


Add chicken broth, water, and can of fire roasted tomatoes to pot.


Stir and add paste onion mixture. Can I just drink this?


Next, add cooked sausage, sliced mushrooms, and grated zucchini to pot.


Cook over medium-high heat for a few minutes, bringing to boil. Reduce heat to low and cover, allowing to simmer for 10 minutes.


Add cream, stir...and try not to drool in the pot.


Finally, top with cheese and fresh Basil.


The soup gave me an excuse to make garlic cheese rolls...which made my tummy very happy!

This photo, on the other hand, made me realize I'm in desperate need of a manicure.

You think I can bring my soup?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!