Wednesday, December 3

Bread Spoons

Let's talk bread...a subject in which I've conducted hundreds of hours of research.

In my opinion, there is no bad bread. Except rye, my taste buds wince at the mere mention of the word.

However, if there were only worms and rye bread left on the earth...I'd reconsider.

I digress.

I whipped up a big batch of Corn Chowder for a recent Girl's Night. Tired of cornbread and wanting something more festive than a plain ol' slice, I cranked out a pan of bread spoons (no, "cranked out" is not a standard culinary term).

A few of the ladies laughed (which is the point of Girl's Night) but most everyone loved them!

Here's a quick step-by-step. They're so easy, even the kiddos can help!

All you need is:
1 can crescent rolls
Sprinkle of flour

Roll out crescent dough on lightly floured surface.


Place spoon, face down on dough and cut around edges with butter knife. Tip: Cut a little wider along handle. If it's too skinny, it will be brittle and break.


It should look something like this.


Next, gently peel excess dough away from spoons (using knife to cut away stubborn areas). Roll excess dough in ball and set aside. Lift spoons from counter and place on pan lined with parchment paper.


Keep in mind, they won't be perfect but that's the fun of it! It's like art, no two are the same. Roll out remaining dough and repeat steps until dough is gone (I ended with about 24 spoons). Bake according to crescent dough instructions but take off about 3 minutes of cook time. Mine said to cook for 12 minutes and the spoons were golden at 9 minutes.  Let cool on rack


It doesn't matter if you think they're funny...or festive...you have to admit, they're FUN!

Look out soup, I have a bread spoon and I'm not afraid to dunk it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!