Wednesday, August 13

My Most Valuable Marriage Advice


It's summer and we all know what that means...weddings! I have a few friends/acquaintances tying the knot in the coming weeks which has prompted numerous requests for my best marriage advice.

Super Hunk and I had a short dating/engagement period (8 weeks to be exact). I know, gasp! Pick yourself up off the floor and hang with me. God's timing is perfect and He brought us together when we were absolutely ready for each other. We are a perfect illustration of the old cliché, "When you know, you know."

Here we are, six years (and one beautiful little boy) later, and I love him more today than I did then. To keep from being too sappy, I will confess there are days I want to kick him in the shin but I like to think that's normal.

I attribute every success in our little marriage (and every butterfly I experience when he's rinsing the dishes) to the following...the most valuable marriage advice I received.

1) God first, ALWAYS! Even if He's somewhat of a stranger to you, find a church...plug in...and get connected with other couples. The fellowship is food for your soul.

2) You'll still have "your" friends and he'll still have "his" friends but make an effort to find new friends. You've started a fresh chapter and life will look different, find couples that are writing the same story (and will understand when you call, furious about underwear on the bathroom floor).

3) You're going to change, don't fight it. You've committed to spend the rest of your life with another person. You now share everything and it will influence who you are. If you allow it, embrace it, and find joy in it, it will absolutely change you for the better!

4) Bloom where you're planted. Sometimes it's your spouse's season, their time to shine. That might mean you go from leading lady to stage hand but never forget how important you are. No matter what role you play, he CAN'T do it without you. Bloom where you're planted and let the world see your beauty! (This leads me to #5.)

5) It's not about you! As much as I want Super Hunk's world to revolve around me, it doesn't. At the end of the day, it's a partnership. You reap what you sow, I make an effort to love and nurture him and inevitably he does the same.

6) If you ever want to complain about your husband, call HIS mother. Never taint the waters of your husband's character to anyone other than his mother, she'll hear you out and love him anyway. She also might have a little advice, she's known him his whole life.

7) Last and definitely not least...this is my favorite, we all love a good competition...If you always try to out give each other, you both win. This goes back to #5, you reap what you sow. Every day, make an attempt to show your spouse how special he is...I promise you'll see the difference it makes.

Okay, that's it...my most valuable marriage advice. With people's skepticism of our short engagement, I received a LOT of advice. Take the good, leave the bad, and serve others above self.

These are the smiles of happy people, following good advice!

 

3 comments:

  1. Aww, beautifully written with great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fall into that category too, when you know you know!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!