Wednesday, May 7

Broccoli (Bacon) Salad

I originally posted this recipe during my "Three Days in the South" series. If you missed it, you can read it here.

Broccoli (Bacon) Salad is my sweet mother's creation and one of my "day after" favorites (the kind you can eat day-after-day-after-day). No matter what the rest of the family says, this yummy deliciousness began in Fancy Nancy's kitchen. Attempts to steal and claim recipe have been made. I attribute it to the sweetness of the dressing and saltiness of the bacon, it's a confusion of the senses and people can't be held responsible for their actions.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Word to the wise: If you plan on sharing it with others, write your name on the recipe!
Broccoli (Bacon) Salad
4-5 cups broccoli (chopped)
1 cup raisins (I use craisins and chopped dried cherries.)
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
10 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled
1 cup sunflower seeds
8 tablespoons sugar (I use brown sugar because I prefer the flavor.)
1 cup Miracle Whip
2 tablespoons white vinegar

Add first five ingredients to large mixing bowl. Toss to combine (food should always be pretty).
In small mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, Miracle Whip, and vinegar until thoroughly mixed. Slowly drizzle dressing over broccoli mixture while tossing to coat.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 min before serving. I usually reserve a small amount of dressing, in case it needs a little "oomph" after chilling.
You officially have the perfect party recipe. Be sure to pack a few recipe cards, you're sure to have a few requests.

If you're a bacon lover and missed the first two days in our series "A Week of Bacon", be sure to check out our Bacon Candy and Avocado Bacon Quesadillas recipes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!