Monday, March 10

Sunny Day Scalloped Potatoes

Spring has sprung! We have a few consecutive days of beautiful weather in the forecast! High five, Weather Guy! Oh how I wish I had a hammock! Why don't I have a hammock? Hmmmmm........


In the past, I've expressed my fondness of cold weather. Super Hunk, on the other hand, loathes it! He'd rather be sweating buckets than wearing 9.2 layers. What's up with that? Oh well, I think I'll keep him!


Joining my outdoor loving crew, I decided to embrace the weekend's warm weather and plan a picnic lunch. Before I could even thaw the sausage (beef, of course), Super Hunk was headed out the door with a bag of charcoal and the long lighter thingy in hand. Wow, he's so agile when he wants to be!


What says picnic better than potatoes? Not to mention, I had a bowl full of potatoes in my pantry that were close to sprouting legs and staging a coup!


The recipe takes a while to bake (those stubborn potatoes don't get in a hurry) but it's definitely worth the wait! For all you foodies out there, this is my way of marrying Au Gratin and Scalloped. When it comes to potatoes, why not have it all?


SUNNY DAY SCALLOPED POTATOES
Makes 4 servings
4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 onion, diced
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

For a spicier version (if you're not feeding a toddler, like me):
Substitute chopped green chiles for onion
Substitute shredded pepper jack cheese for mozzarella

Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Slice potatoes in 1/4 inch slices.

(Pardon the partially sliced produce in the background. Little Man wanted apple slices and Super Hunk wanted tomato slices as a snack. I had a cookie!)

(Yes, I mix white potatoes and sweet potatoes in the same bowl. World peace begins with one step!)

Grease a 1 quart baking dish, generously...is there any other way?
(It can be any shape, this is my favorite casserole dish from me Mum!)

Layer 1/2 of the potatoes in the bottom of the dish, sprinkle half of onions on top.











Salt and pepper slices generously (potatoes need all the help they can get). Repeat layering until slices and onions are gone. Salt and pepper second layer.


In a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, whisking constantly for one minute.



Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese (keeping a small handful aside to sprinkle on top) all at once. Continue stirring until melted. 


Pour creamy cheese mixture over potato layers. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover with aluminum foil and back for 1 1/2 hours.



Remove from oven, serve and enjoy your picnic!

(Super Hunk did the plating, it's a culinary masterpiece! Oh how I love charred sausage!)

3 comments:

  1. Courtney, When I make similar potatoes, I microwave them for about half the usual nuking time. It cuts down on the baking time a lot and the taters are nummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other McEwen fam needed in on this action! Sunshine, grilling, and yummy food, is an A-town McEwen 's perfect day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!