Thursday, February 27

Tomato Basil Cheese Bread


This recipe is a little random...randomly delicious!

Much like my brain, my cooking is occasionally all over the place. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

I recently used 1/2 loaf of French bread for French toast. I prefer French bread for a number of reasons, crunchy edges, slice thickness, spongy texture soaks up all the egg goodness. Let's face it, French bread = French toast. Wheat bread = French toast just doesn't have the same ring to it!

I digress...

I hate to waste food, I'll save you the "there are starving children in the world" speech...but there ARE. Thus, I hate to waste food.

Having rambled on and on, I'll get to the tomato - basil - cheese - point. We were having pasta for dinner the other night and what would a carb-loaded meal be without more carbs, right?

I repurposed the remaining 1/2 loaf of French bread and this creation was born!


Tomato Basil Cheese Bread
Yields: 1/2 loaf (If you have a full loaf, double the recipe)


1/2 loaf French bread
4 tablespoons room temperature butter
2 tablespoons basil pesto (in jar)
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 roma tomato
1 1/2 teaspoon sliced green onion


Slice loaf in half horizontally and place on baking sheet.




Butter both sides (2 tablespoons per side. Feel free to use more or less, depending on your love of butter. BUTTER FOR PRESIDENT!).


Mix pesto, mayo & mozzarella in small mixing bowl.



Spread 1/2 mixture on each side of bread.




Thinly slice tomato and lay slices on paper towel. Gently pat dry. (This photo was prior to the patting dry process!)


Lay slices on cheese mixture.



Sprinkle parmesan cheese over tomato slices.


Sprinkle with sliced green onions and bake in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. 


Slice and serve. (Tip: Don't use a serated knife when slicing, it mangles the cheese topping. Nobody likes mangled cheese...well, mangled anything!)



The perfect addition to any meal! (If you and your waistline love bread as much as I do, this is a meal by itself!)

Side note: I know there's a whole group of white bread haters out there but I say "everything in moderation!" Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. Looks great, can't wait to try it! Tip: Aldi has pesto in a jar, cheap! Love Aldi!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! More uses for my "pesto in jar" that I didn't even know existed until a week ago! I can't wait to try this yumminess!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love it! I have a pesto pasta coming soon! Yippee!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!