Friday, February 7

Project Compost

Two years ago, Super Hunk built me three raised garden beds. We planted a few herbs and vegetables the year before and were hooked.

Gardening is therapeutic for me (much like cooking). It takes me back to a simpler time when neighbors shared their bounty and people lived strictly off the land (Don't get me wrong, I enjoy buying butter instead of depending on Bessy for it).  There's nothing like cooking with ingredients you grew, proud to know your time invested yielded something so delicious!

Having said that, I feel a confession coming on, we are green (well, partially)!

Composting is a way to recycle the discarded parts of the plant/fruit/vegetable, using them to add nutrients back to the soil for future plants.

Today, my Favorite Thing to share with you is this cutie...


Introducing, (cue the drum roll) my super adorable (and aesthetically pleasing) compost bin!  It perches, so cheerfully, on my chopping block just waiting to be filled.

Not only is it much more appealing than a bowl of scraps, the lid prevents those pesky fruit flies from feasting.

Is it just me or do fruit flies reproduce at the speed of light?  I digress.....

Thank you for sharing in my excitement of produce trimmings!  If you'd like your very own, I found it at my local Hobby Lobby store in the Seasonal section. Retail was around $14.99, if it's not on sale (most things usually are) you can use this fabulously frugal 40% off coupon. Just pull it up on your mobile device (if you don't want to take the time to print it).

Happy composting!




1 comment:

  1. I have the same bucket I bought at HL when your mom was visiting you. It was much cutier than the tupperware bowl with a hot pink lid that Uncle Billy had declared the compost bowl!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!