Wednesday, February 12

Open-Faced Meatball Sandwich

The end is here, the meatball encore has arrived! Dun dun dun duuuunnnnn.......so sad!

The last recipe is delicious and EXTREMELY SIMPLE! You've done all the work, now it's a little skillet shenanigans and toss it on the plate!

I can't emphasize the simplicity of this recipe enough. I literally prepared it WHILE giving my toddler a bath! Okay, not simultaneously...there were a few trips from kitchen - bathroom - kitchen - bathroom, you get the idea!

Day #3 of the trilogy, Meatball Trifecta...(cue the curtain)

Open-Faced Meatball Sandwich
(makes 2-3 sandwiches)
-Meatballs (recipe from Day #1 of Meatball Trifecta, link at bottom of page)
-Marinara sauce (recipe from Day #1 of Meatball Trifecta, link at bottom of page)
-2 tablespoons of butter
-French bread or sub rolls
-1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
-1/2 teaspoon sliced mushrooms (optional)

Prepare meatballs in skillet with 2 tablespoons of butter (as seen on Day #1 & #2 of Meatball Trifecta) until cooked thoroughly. Remove and set on plate.

Add sliced mushrooms to same skillet you cooked the meatballs. Sauté until cooked to your preference.


In a separate skillet, add cooked meatballs and marinara sauce (aren't you glad you froze half from your spaghetti & meatballs excursion!). Simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes.


Set oven to Broil, slice bread (I used French Bread but you can use hoagie rolls or other sandwich bread you have in your pantry).

 
Butter bread, sprinkle with garlic salt and place in oven for about 3 minutes (until golden brown). I can't leave the oven while broiling, I inevitably make charcoal!

 
 
Remove from oven, top with meatball mixture and mushrooms. I also add a little freshly chopped basil and grated mozzarella.

Publice Service Announcement: To prevent soggy bread (because I've yet to find a person who enjoys soggy bread), eat immediately!


Savor every bite, it's the last of the meatballs! Sniff sniff... 

In case you are just joining our little trilogy, Meatball Trifecta, here are the links for Day #1 & #2.
Day #1: Spaghetti & Meatballs, click here.
Day #2: Meatball Pizza, click here.


 

2 comments:

  1. Tried these tonight...THEY WERE FANTASTIC! We did the Trifecta a little backwards because my husband loves meatball subs. Let me just say, I have never - wait for it..........had meatballs (GASP!) Yes, I know; I'm crazy. But, these were fabulous! AND SUPER EASY! Thanks so much for the post, C. It's not often I can find something that is so tasty and easy enough to make with a demanding baby. :) Love, Love, LOVE it! Can't wait to try the other two recipes :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!