Wednesday, January 20

2016 Color of the Year

I consider myself a fairly informed person but the older I get, the list of "things I didn't know" somehow continues to grow.

For example...until recently, I had no idea you can curl your hair with a straightener.

I'm still perplexed when people use the phrases "awfully pretty" or "an accurate estimate".

And I've been completely in the dark when it comes to revealing the Color of the Year (or even that one existed).

This is why Guest Contributor, Fancy Nancy's presence in my life has been so fulfilling.

She makes me better...and much more aware of the glamorous world around me!

2016 Color of the Year (by: Fancy Nancy)

Every year around this time, the Pantone Color Institute announces its “Color of the Year” for fashion and interior design. Those of us in the industry hold our collective breaths to see what will be hip and hot for the coming year. Selecting a Color of the Year is a process that is taken very seriously. Companies send teams of color experts (exactly what does that look like on a resume’?) far and wide to gather inspiration. Then they reconvene to discuss what inspired them, what color trends they observed and even social trends that influence color. From that, the “Color of the Year” is chosen. Well…Pantone has spoken ; (drum roll, the envelope please) the trending color for 2016 is not one, but TWO colors: Rose Quartz and Serenity.  Errrrccchhhh!

My first impression was that they couldn’t decide if they were having a boy or a girl! How could this combination possibly work beyond a children’s bedroom? As it turns out, they are meant to inspire a sense of connection, wellness and peace and balance warm and cool. Lord knows, we could all use a dose of that, so let’s take a closer look.

In the Pink: Rose Quartz.
I’ll admit, my first thought was Shelby from Steel Magnolias and her wedding colors, blush and bashful. I could just visualize a room that looked like it had been sprayed down with Pepto Bismol! To my surprise, this is a sweet, gentle pink with just the barest hit of peach which elevates it above baby dĂ©cor. Rose Quartz has a softness that creates a soothing ambience and a peaceful feeling in this crazy, madcap world.  Think of those last hues of a serene sunset, or the inside of a budding pink rose.
Serenity has a calming effect, a very airy and clean color. Since Serenity has a hint of purple, it looks surprisingly chic with a deep plum. It reminds me of blue sky with just a hint of violet. In the 80’s we called this color Periwinkle! Pantone describes it as a tranquil color that promotes peace. This is a great color for a bedroom or bathroom, wherever you want a calming ambiance. What about on the ceiling, like an expanse of blue sky, to provide a calming effect to any room? In the South, we have a delightful tradition of painting our porch ceilings blue for a variety of reasons. Whether you paint yours blue based on superstition, getting back to nature, or just because you think it’s a lovely color, blue porch ceilings are a wonderful way to add visual interest to your outdoor space and make the space appear cooler.  
If you are like me, you are having trouble with the idea of painting your walls pale pink or blue? Call me commitment-phobic, but let’s not rush into anything. I much prefer the idea of using these colors in small doses, like accessories or maybe a small bit of upholstery. Lamps, rugs and throw pillows are a good way to bring these colors into your rooms and add a light touch for the eye. If you decide to use these two colors together, think of beach house with pure white as a backdrop. Even if you don’t have any blue in your home, you can add small touches like a vase of hydrangeas or a beautiful painting. Individually, surprisingly, both colors work well with gray, which continues to be the most popular neutral color and the gray combines a masculine feel with the feminine, mixing the best of both worlds.

Well, the suspense is over for another year. Expect to see these color choices cross over into fashion, so you might want to start planning that Easter dress. As for me, I am off to find towels for my 1960’s pink tile bathroom. Who knew, I would be so fashion forward in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!