Wednesday, June 24

Baked Oatmeal

This is a recipe where oatmeal haters and oatmeal lovers find common ground. For the worldwide cause of eating more fiber, let us unite!

If you're like me, the texture of regular oatmeal makes your toes curl. You'd rather crawl in a dark corner and rock uncontrollably than eat one spoonful. Blah!

There's hope!

My bestie, Rekah, first made this recipe for me while visiting her little oasis in the Texas panhandle. I was skeptical because of my above mentioned aversion to slimy oats.

I awoke, stumbled to the kitchen, my senses were awakened by the sweet smells of deliciousness!

To my surprise, it tasted magnificent and was void of any slimy gooeyness.

And it's also a SUPER EASY recipe! For you, I offer this gift...


Baked Oatmeal

1/3 cup melted butter
2 large eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of ground cloves (big pinch, little pinch, you decide!)
1 1/8 cup milk
3 cups quick oats (uncooked)
Add nuts or dried fruit (chocolate chips are good too if you're feeling adventurous.)

Combine first nine ingredients in mixer (you can also use a hand mixer...or a whisk if you want a workout) until well combined. With mixer on low, slowly add oats to mixture. Stir in nuts, if desired.

(Hey goober, the paddle must be in the mixture in order to mix. I'm a dork!)

(I added 1/4 cup chopped pecans to mine. Feel free to add more or less, go crazy!)

Pour into favorite greased baking dish (I have also used a 9x13, it makes the oatmeal a little thinner).


You can prepare and store it covered in the refrigerator, baking it the next morning. I often make it for the weekend because it's a fast, satisfying breakfast before Sunday church.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 35-40 min. If you use a larger pan (9x13), check on it occasionally as it won't take as long to cook.

Serve warm with milk poured over. Top with fruit of choice! Enjoy!

PS. It's kid approved! Yum!
 
(For your handy printable, click here. Right-click in the document and choose Print.)
 
 

3 comments:

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!