Sunday, March 1

Potato Broccoli Soup

After six years of marriage, I'm still learning new things about my dear Super Hunk. Case in point, potato is his favorite soup! What?!?!

After all the White Chili I've made, assuming it was at the top of his list, I feel a bit silly...he reassures me it's a close second. What a relief, because I could eat it three times a day...365 days a year.

Motivated by my new information, and Little Man's current aversion to green veggies, I threw on a pot of this little gem.

It was a "thumbs up" from the masses, I was satisfied knowing Little Man woofed down a full serving of broccoli, and I've officially redeemed myself as "the maker of all their FAVORITE things"!

Disclaimer: I was inspired by a similar recipe on Pinterest so I ran with it and made a few "Courtney modifications". Doing my best to give credit, where credit is due...I too need inspiration occasionally!  


Ingredients:
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup celery, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
4 cups diced potatoes, rinsed and peeled
2 cups chopped broccoli, slightly steamed
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
2 cups whole milk
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Salt & pepper to taste

Melt butter in pot, over medium heat. Saute onions and celery until tender. 


Add flour and spices to pot, stir until combined.


Next, the broth and milk go in for a swim.


Add potatoes and bring to a boil, keep stirring until it thickens.


Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender.

 
Use potato masher to break down SOME, NOT ALL, of the potatoes (I mash approximately 11 times...or 12...or...). This will make the soup even creamier. Feel free to skip this step if you want larger pieces.


After broccoli is steamed, add to pot...reverse veggie dip.


Next, add the cheese. Stir and continue cooking over low heat until cheese is melted.

 
Serve warm with crackers and sprinkle a little extra cheese on top...just because you can!

 
Even the kids will thank you!

 
Hope this makes your home a happy one on this chilly, wintery day! Stay warm, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!