Monday, February 23

"Vanilla & Honey What?"

I recently stumbled upon a recipe for "Vanilla & Honey Panna Cotta with Poached Cape Gooseberries".

My first thought was "Huh"!

My second thought was "This is why people feel too intimidated to cook"!

Seriously, when was the last time your husband inquired about dessert and you whipped up a little "Vanilla & Honey Panna Cotta with Poached Cape Gooseberries"?

I'm pretty sure Super Hunk would look at me the same way he would if my hair was ablaze.

While I appreciate fine cuisine, on occasion, real life is a big ol' pan of brownies...made with love! This recipe, presented as an "easy dessert", is why people throw up their hands in defeat...and call for takeout.

Recipes shouldn't be scary...they shouldn't leave you bewildered...wondering how many berries a goose can actually carry (or is that just me).

If this was posted here at S&S, it would be entitled "Vanilla & Honey Italian Cooked Cream with Moisture-Heated Sour Tomato Berries".

I know, it doesn't have the same elegant ring to it...but it makes way more sense. Don't you think?

My outlook on life usually falls in the "If ordinary is good, extraordinary is better" category. But time is limited, let's not spend valuable cooking minutes attempting recipes that require googling.

Keep it simply delicious and, in case you're wondering, here's a little clarification (you can now talk it up at any Food Network Superstar Mingle)!

"Panna Cotta" is an Italian dessert made by blending thick cream, egg whites, and honey. It is also described as cream jello.
Poaching is a cooking technique defined as submerging something in low temp liquid. It is ideal for delicate foods, such as eggs or fish, that might fall apart when boiled at higher temps.
Cape Gooseberries are similar to cherry tomatoes with a yellow exterior and tart interior. They are surrounded by a husk that resembles a cape. Available year round, they are sold in stores by the other berries.
Now that we're well-informed...join me in making the "ewwwww, no thank you" face!

I'll stick with butter, flour, and sugar!

1 comment:

  1. While I love a pan of brownies and chocolate chips cookies, I have to disagree with you. I love making something new and exciting. Now I might not make panna cotta with gooseberries, I did try to make a chocolate panna cotta and it was great. Like a chocolate flan. I find trying new techniques part of the fun of cooking. Yes, cooking time is short, but I like the adventure of something new. That is why I think a lot of the cooking shows don't appeal to me because I already am familiar with many of the things they make. I want to learn something new, but I agree with you in part

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!