Monday, October 27

Wonderful White Chili

Remember last week when I posted my excitement about the arrival of cool, crisp weather?

Mother Nature is now mocking me. I failed to knock on something made of wood. I walked under the proverbial weather ladder. I'm staying away from mirrors and heavy machinery.

We are now forecasted for 90 degree weather with November right around the corner...you heard me! The weatherman announced this morning we are officially warmer than Phoenix, Arizona. Holy cactus, Batman!

I recently read a friend's Facebook post proclaiming she plans to force the arrival of Fall by cooking nothing but soup. "If you build it, they will come."

Sign me up! A cause I fully support...I refuse to buy ANOTHER bottle of sunless tanning lotion!

This is our all-time-lick-the-bowl-guard-the-pot family favorite. Try it...you'll thank me.



Ingredients:
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
2 cans (15 1/2 oz) great northern beans
14 1/2 oz chicken broth
1 can (8 oz) chopped green chiles
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin (this is an essential ingredient)
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper (more, if you're up for it)
1 (8 oz) container sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream

Heat oil in pot and sauté onion over medium heat. Add chicken broth, beans, and green chiles.


Add chopped chicken and stir. (I used a rotisserie because we had an incident with a cow and her MIA calf so dinner was a little later than planned. Life is harried...or in this case, harry...the calf, not the chicken! Ha!)



Stir in spices and bring to a boil for about a minute.
 

Reduce heat to low and add sour cream. Stir to combine.
 

When sour cream is completely, well...creamed, stir in whipping cream. Sour cream, whipping cream, ice cream...happy, creamy me!


Let simmer for 20-25 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally. Serve with a special cracker (only special crackers are invited to this creamy party) and enjoy!



Caution: There is NEVER leftovers so if you want Round 2 the next day, take my advice and double (or triple) the recipe.
 
(Click here for your handy dandy printable.)
 

1 comment:

  1. I swear, my husband can smell this on the stove when he pulls in the drive. so good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!