Wednesday, July 16

Kale Salad with Radishes & Avocado


A tidbit about Super Hunk, he's a huge salad fan. I hit the husband jackpot when it comes to food, he's perfectly happy with a bed of greens for any meal (maybe not breakfast, unless combined with eggs...and cheese).

When planning our garden for the year, his one request was greens...and plenty of them. We planted leafy greens, kale, spinach, and arugula. Enough to keep him (and an entire herd of rabbits) content for the summer.

Yesterday, as I was preparing his lunch, he brought to my attention the lack of salad recipes here at S&S. I usually wince when he's right but he always makes me better so I endure (if he wasn't so darn handsome, it could be slightly annoying)!

So here's to you, my salad-lover readers. I promise to no longer neglect you and your love of all things green. May this be the start of a lovely, leafy friendship!


(Makes one very large salad or two smaller salads)
4 cups of kale
1 radish, sliced thin
1 ripe avocado, diced

Dressing:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

Mix dressing and pour over greens. Toss to coat. Top with sliced radishes and diced avocado. Sprinkle more salt and pepper to taste.

Side note: I included sweet potato leaves in my salad mixture. They are completely edible! Who knew? 
 
Move over grasshopper, there's a new herbivore in town!

If you've never had them, give it a whirl. They have a slight sweetness (containing the same nutritional value as spinach) and are excellent mixed with other greens. I also have a delicious Sweet Potato Greens recipe I'll share in the coming days, stay tuned!

(Sweet potato leaves, don't they look yummy? It looks like heaven to a slug!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!