Thursday, April 3

Barbecue Pork Pizza

When planning my weekly meals, my goal is leftovers. Believe it or not, leftovers are complex...sneaky...covert. They have the potential to transform into a completely different dish with a few minor changes.

I recently did the happy dance at our local grocery store over a BOGO sale on pork loin roast (don't worry, they know me and weren't surprised...I hope it doesn't end up on YouTube, my running man needs work). Score! Filled the freezer and saved my moola, double score!

With our house being Crazytown lately, it's difficult to anticipate meal time (we've temporarily adopted the "grab and go" method of nourishment).

My crock pot, as always, has been a faithful friend!

With my pork roast thawed, in it goes! Low heat and 5 hours later, two meals are cooked and I'm feeling quite accomplished. If only I could get my washer and dryer to do the same!

First meal...Barbecue Pork Pizza! I know this seems outlandish but trust me, oh...my-lanta! My first bite was quite the experience, there might have been a few "When Harry Met Sally" noises happening but I'll never tell!

Stay tuned for lunch tomorrow!


Ingredients
1 pork loin roast
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 jar pepperoncini peppers
1 pizza dough (store bought or find my favorite dough recipe here. I added a little basil.)
1 cup barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 green bell pepper
1 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
1 cup grated parmesan
1 chopped jalapeno (optional)

Directions
Place roast in crock pot on low heat. Mix water and Worcestershire and pour over roast. Drain juice from pepperoncini jar and pour peppers over roast. Sprinkle garlic salt on top. Close lid and cook for 5-6 hours (my favorite part is the aroma, it makes my house smell heavenly).

When pork is done (should pull apart easily), remove from crock pot and let cool. Chop 2 cups and set aside for pizza topping. Strain peppers and place in storage container, add remaining meat to container and place in fridge for tomorrow's meal (I usually add a little juice to keep it moist and add flavor).

For pizza dough, flour rolling surface (and play in the flour, I can't help myself). 


Roll out dough to desired thickness (I love freeform food). Place on baking sheet.


Spread barbecue sauce on pizza. Use more or less, there's no right or wrong. If this is wrong, I don't want to be right!


I skillet, over medium heat, add olive oil. Toss in sliced bell pepper and let cook until slightly tender (as you can see, I walked away and BOOM, blackened edges).


When bell peppers are cooked, sprinkle over pizza dough.


Add grated mozzarella.


Add chopped pork.


Add grated parmesan.


Cook in 500 degree oven for 12-15 minutes (I like my crust crunchy so I go the full 15). While waiting, dice your jalapeno.


When cooked, sprinkle with chopped jalapeno (I did half with jalapeno for Mommy & Daddy, half without for Little Man).


Slice and serve with a delicious side salad!


"I'll have a piece...or two...or three...step away from the pizza!"


I hope your family enjoys this as much as my crew! Enjoy and stay tuned for tomorrow's recipe using the rest of your roast!

If you're looking for another great pizza recipe, try my Meatball Pizza.

If you enjoyed this, caring is sharing!

2 comments:

  1. Can not wait to try this!! We love pizza :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot..... LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I enjoy hearing from you!